I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and remember to be ACTIVE and EAT IN MODERATION!
Here is my
SPILL, Spiel on liquids!
What is good for you to drink &
what drinks to avoid & why.
The sensation of feeling “thirsty” is not triggered by the body until you are already dehydrated! Although not considered a nutrient, water/fluids are an essential component of diets, for without it our body would perish after only a few days. Our bodies are made up of 50-70%water. It is necessary for maintenance, growth and is involved in many processes. Dehydration can cause/affect: headaches, fatigue, loss of concentration/focus, constipation (to you and your infant if you are nursing), and kidney stones.
Safe Bets on it being a drink with ‘Health’ benefits: Water, Beetroot, Berry, Blueberry, Cranberry, Tart Cherry, Pomegranate, Mango, Noni, Orange, Prune, (Almost Any fresh fruit) and Tomato (& other vegetables) Juice, Fresh squeezed lemonade or tea, Milk, Tea Herbal and Black, Red Wine, *Coffee.
WHY: Most listed above offer nutrients, phytochemicals/nutrients, fiber, complex carbs, natural sugars, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Risky drink Choices: Soda pops, Diet pop, Energy Drinks, Kool Aid, Fruit Punches, Some Sport Drinks, Any High Sugar beverage hot or cold, Alcohol, any beverage or amount of beverage high in caffeine.
· Refined Sugar is a known suspect for many cancers and is an inflammatory! Is void of all nutrients, made of pure carbohydrates.
· “Refined sugar is void of all nutrients; consequently it causes the body to deplete its own stores of various vitamins, minerals and enzymes. If sugar consumption is continued, an over-acid condition results, and more minerals are needed from deep in the body to correct the imbalance. If the body is lacking the nutrients used to metabolize sugar, it will not be able to properly handle and rid itself of the poisonous residues.
· These wastes accumulate through the brain and nervous system, which speeds up cellular death. The bloodstream becomes over-loaded with waste products and symptoms of carbonic poisoning result.
· ...Sugar also makes the blood very thick and sticky, inhibiting much of the blood flow into the minute capillaries that supply our gums and teeth with vital nutrients. Therefore, we wind up with diseased gums and starving teeth. America and England, the two largest sugar consumers, have horrendous dental problems.”(8)
· Artificial sweeteners in diet beverages are linked to MANY health risk and aren’t worth their benefit. Some argue that the body reacts to the ‘fake’ sugar like the real thing so even the marketed ‘benefits’ are questionable.
┼ Questionable sugar substitutes: Sorbitol, Aspartame, Splenda, Saccharine,
┼ Good Sugar Substitutes: Stevia(*Sweet Leaf, Truvia, PureVia), naturally sweetened w/ fruit or veggiejuices. Some sugar alcohols are promoted amongst health professionals: Erythritol.
┼ CHALLENGE: If you drink pop on a regular basis: wean off, find a substitute drink that will satisfy you, do not drink diet drinks (do some research on why). Pop contains: phosphorus, caffeine, sugar, sodium and unwanted calories, it’s the combo that makes it a bad choice.
· Energy drinks: the herbs, caffeine, & chemicals used in energy drinks affect the nervous system adversely and aren’t recommended for regular consumption. + Before consuming any herb it is wise to become educated as to its benefit, otherwise how do you know you need it? What is it intended to do to your body.
· Consuming sugary drinks w/ added electrolytes can have their benefits, just understand the amount of sugar being consumed, know your body is designed to replenish and maintain its own fluid levels, & regular consumption of electrolyte regulating drinks may affect your body’s own reaction to do so. So use only as needed when you need to “catch up” on fluids.
· Alcohol: not trying to ruin the party but many current studies are linking the consumption of alcohol to increased risk of cancer, due to 1 concern, that it can affect DNA. Even the antioxidant benefits of red wine stop at 4-5 oz. and those benefits technically can be gained by consumption of other fruits & vegetables.
NO EXCUSES! Know what you are putting into YOUR body. Anything that you consume on a habitual basis has some kind of effect on you. Just be aware of what kind of effect it is having on YOUR body.
± Did U know that Vitamin water zero is now using Stevia extract and erythritol to naturally flavor their beverage? I am not promoting this brand but read labels! It’s is nice to see efforts being made.
± Did U know most items labeled ‘NO SUGAR ADDED’ are loaded w/ an unhealthy sugar substitute? Hmm, Not so healthy!
I am not an expert, nor certified nutritionist. The information above is information I apply to my own life and have learned from others who study the field of health/nutrition. *Some items have in-house debates, studies still pending, or may have both good and bad side effects. If you are concerned, see your doctor about questionable items you might be consuming or perform your own research.